What You Need To Know About Vehicle Window Tinting

What You Need To Know About Vehicle Window Tinting

Black truck

Why tint my Windows?

Safety is the first, and most vital, benefit that comes to mind. Making your car look cool is another reason cited by the younger crowd. But in addition to increasing safety, tint can also help to reduce interior fading, hide expensive equipment from would-be thieves, and reduce or even eliminate glare. It will also add to your comfort by keeping your car cool on sunny days.


Here’s a quick breakdown on why you should get your car tinted.

The most important advantage of window tint is also the least known. While the windshield is made of a glass and plastic laminate, the side and rear windows are made of tempered glass. In case of an accident, they shatter into thousands of tiny chunks. Window tint film keeps the majority of these from flying around and showering the occupants, adding an extra safety measure in case of an accident. Any quality tinting film, 3M included, is strong enough to hold the glass together even in the worst of accidents.

Aside from all the young drivers who like to black out their windows with the darkest tint they can, window tint is also a desirable aesthetic upgrade for the more mature, older audience as well. Putting a nice light-colored tint on any automobile gives it a noticeable, classy appearance.

Many people tint their windows to hide expensive items like GPS units, sound systems, tools, and other valuable equipment that can be easily seen from the outside, making it an obvious target for thieves. Tint is an effective and cheap alternative to expensive alarm systems for people concerned about keeping their valuables safe.

If you want to make your car glare proof on bright sunny day, tint is pretty much the only option you have.  It is effective enough that even lighter shades can cancel most of the problems caused by glare. And the darker shades will eliminate glare completely.

Many people notice the added comfort of tinting on hot and sunny days when the sun is beating down on your their all day, trapping all the heat inside in the same way the greenhouse effect traps heat inside the earth’s atmosphere. Tint your car and you’ll never again be burnt by your cars hot interior when you go to sit down.

Lastly, all window tint, no matter how dark, cuts out 99% of UVA and UVB rays. Those are the rays responsible for fading the interior of your automobile, not to mention they are also harmful they are to your skin. So if you want keep your interior, and your skin, looking new, tint is the way to go.


While there are many pros to window tinting, there are a few cons to consider.

If you opt for the darkest tint allowable, you may experience some difficulties under certain conditions, like driving at night or through a tunnel.

Inferior aftermarket tinting products can crack and peel over time, reducing your vision. Have it done by a professional using a quality product and this is rarely a problem

Finally, there are laws regarding the exact amount of window tinting allowed and where it can be used. Know the regulations and discuss them with your installer before you have it done.

Maryland Law

The 35% Window Tint Law in Maryland means that the total amount of light being transmitted through the glass of a motor vehicle cannot be less than 35%. Don’t be misled by the percentage window tinting film rating. You cannot exceed 35% total Light Transmittance Value (LTV). Take into consideration that ALL vehicles come from the factory with a certain percentage of tinting incorporated into the glass.  In most cases it blocks out approximately 20% of the available light, which means that 80% is still passing through, for an LTV of 80%. No problem there.

An after-market window tint film rated at 35% LTV means that the film allows 35% of the available light to pass through, and blocks out 65%. CAUTION: When you place a 35% window tint film over a vehicle window that is already blocking out 20% of the available light, you have now reduced the LTV to 28%. Not legal.  Why is it now 28%?  Because you started with a piece of glass that was already blocking out 20% of the available light, and you are now placing a  35% tinting material on a piece of glass that only had 80% available light to start with, i.e. .35 x 80 = 28% LTV. That means you are now blocking out 72% of the available light, leaving only 28% to pass through.

Shannon-Baum does an expert job of tinting your automobile windows, using only the best quality products and following Maryland regulations, allowing you to protect your car’s interior and your skin — not to mention your privacy, security and image — for years to come. Call or stop by today.

Shannon-Baum Signs and Graphics

105 Competitive Goals Drive Eldersburg, MD 21784

410-781-4000 or 800-368-2295